In our bi-weekly staff meetings The Maker Spot staff is always talking about ways to grow the space and continue to make it the best experience possible for our users. One of the topics consistently discussed is our beloved long arm quilting machine affectionately known as Lucy. We have worked in the past to make our classes more accessible so that we can train as many people as possible to use the machine. We added a cancellation list, trained a volunteer instructor and increased the frequency and variety of times that classes are available.
Because all of these things have allowed us to train more people, there is now a higher than ever demand to actually use the machine. In order to be equitable in the usage of the machine, the limitations on using Lucy are being changed. So that the calendar will handle the management of these new limitations without staff intervention, we have had to create a new calendar specifically for Lucy reservations.
Here is what’s changing January 1, 2018:
- Lucy will have her own calendar here: http://www.themakerspot.org/lucy/
- Users will now be limited to one reservation per week. We would like as many people to use Lucy as possible each week.
- Pre-set time slots have been created in order to ensure that every available minute is being reserved. The length of these slots varies, but you will be able to see the length of the slot before you reserve. Data tells us that our average Lucy user utilizes the machine for approximately 3.5 hours, so these slots will be enough time for experienced and novice users.
- Reservation time slots will have their own individual wait lists. You can add yourself to the wait list for a time slot and you will automatically be placed in the time slot if if the original reservation is cancelled and you are the first on the list. If this happens, you will be notified by email. You have the option of denying to use this time slot if your schedule changes when you receive the email. You won’t be notified less than 30 minutes before a reservation time if it becomes available. There is no limit on the number of people on this wait list.
Here’s what’s staying the same:
- You will still use the same username and password that you have used in the past for the new calendar. You will just need to click the “Reserve Lucy” link under “Reserve” in our menu.
- Reservations will still be limited to the next 7 days. These slots will open up at the same time as the space opens each day and all slots will be available at opening time. Scroll to the bottom of this page to see our hours.
- No additional certifications are required and our training process will stay the same. All usage guidelines and policies still apply and have not changed.
Next week will be the last week that you will use the old calendar link to reserve Lucy and then we will move reservations on to the new calendar. Please comment below to let us know what you think or if you have any questions.